WARNING - SCAM ALERT: Business Travel Management (BTM)
SRI has learned that a third-party company, operating under the name Business Travel Management (BTM) is targeting SRI Annual Meeting speakers and attendees with a fraudulent travel and hotel booking scheme. The company is calling and/or emailing conference speakers and attendees and falsely claiming it is the “official” housing bureau and/or authorized by SRI to book hotel and/or travel accommodations for the conference. This is entirely FALSE.
SRI is not affiliated in any way with BTM. The company makes a number of FALSE and FRAUDULENT claims about the conference designed to obtain your credit card information, including:
- There are issues with your hotel reservation for the conference;
- The hotel room rate for the conference has increased and/or rooms are running out and must be booked with BTM as soon as possible;
- Hotel rooms for the conference can only be booked through BTM;
- That BTM can get you a cheaper room rate than the conference organizers;
- Hotel rooms for the conference are sold out and that they can help find you alternatives hotels.
Please be aware that this is a SCAM designed to obtain your credit card information and/or make phony charges to your credit card. Please exercise extreme caution when contacted by BTM. The BTM representatives are extremely pushy and prodding. We recommend that you do NOT give this company your credit card number, personal information, or any details about your hotel reservation. We have heard that conference speakers and attendees that have given BTM their credit card information have incurred substantial credit card charges (cancellation fees, service fees, etc).
What to do if you have been contacted by a scam company about booking hotels?
- If you have given out your credit card information to BTM or anyone who called you about booking hotel rooms for the SRI 2019 Annual Meeting, call your credit card company immediately, alert them to the scam, and deny the charge.
- Change your online passwords and PINs to prevent fraudsters from doing any further damage.
- Continue to monitor your credit card to look for fraudulent charges. Request further information from your credit card company regarding closing your account or issuing a new card.
Additionally, the hotel room reservations are never made and the attendees are left without hotel reservations for the conference. In the event that SRI contracts with ANY outside company, we will provide you that information DIRECTLY. If you receive a phone call from BTM or an email, please forward the information to Michelle Holm.